Thursday, March 11, 2021

My Home Down Payment Progress

For a couple years now, I've been using a bullet journal to keep track of important things happening in my life. One page of my current journal has a progress chart for my home down payment. Today I'm giving an update on that progress and how I track it on the sheet.


Down Payment Progress

First off, notice the outer most rectangle. It measures 25 squares by 20 squares. Since the outer rectangle represents my ideal payment of $25,000.00, each square accounts for $50.

Each time I make a deposit to my high-yield savings account, I mark off a region and label it with a reason for that deposit. I started off on "9/20" with a $100 deposit. Some squares say CASH or $$$, which is money set aside from lottery winnings or odd jobs and usually held until I make my regular monthly deposit. The regions snake across the page, which leads to the bends in some of the shapes, like "BONUS" for example.

There are also two dashed lines. The bottom line represents $6,250, or 5% of $125,000. This is the minimum I need for just the down payment. The second line is another 5% to cover closing costs on top of the down payment.

So right now I have $3,400.00 saved towards a house. I can definitely see hitting my $5,000.00 goal for this year, but crossing the first line will depend on how fast I pay off my student loans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can I Get It OFF Credit?

I paid off my student loans in January, but it seems I replaced one type of debt with another. I attended PAX East in Boston in April. The ...